Eternal Alchemists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

again with the broken computer

3 posters

Go down

again with the broken computer Empty again with the broken computer

Post by SlimPickins Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:00 pm

My computer has started crapping out again. I'm getting corrupted graphics very similar to what was happening last year, but the computer also freezes and I can't do anything. REISUB still works. I can't see anything wrong on the hardware. I don't think the problem is my video card because my computer is freezing, meaning sometimes the mouse won't move and when it does, clicking on stuff does nothing. I hope my mobo or cpu isn't fried.

SlimPickins

Back to top Go down

again with the broken computer Empty Re: again with the broken computer

Post by boognish Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:48 pm

Did you try new graphics drivers recently? or have another OS to boot to eliminate the possibility of a software problem.
If its absolutely hardware and a recurring thing, maybe its time for a new computer. It would seem to me like your main board keeps burning out the video card.
boognish
boognish

Back to top Go down

Post by SlimPickins Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:45 pm

I haven't made any changes of any kind for a long time. Whatever it is, it's happening on it's own. It's not a software thing because I'm getting corrupted graphics in bios before the OS loads. I read that Nvidia has made a lot of defective video cards in the past few years. Maybe I have one of them.

SlimPickins

Back to top Go down

Post by Nerdz Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:22 pm

What do you have as a card? Anything thats high powered may not be heatsinked well or cooled well.
Nerdz
Nerdz
Admin

https://eternalalchemists.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SlimPickins Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:56 pm

Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT
I just installed the Nvidia control center so I could check the gpu temperature. After the computer had been on for about 5 minutes, the temperature of the card was 60 degrees C.
I got the corrupted graphics as soon as I turn the computer on. EL won't load.

SlimPickins

Back to top Go down

Post by SlimPickins Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:45 pm

Good new, everyone! The problem is just my video card. I still have my old video card, which is also broken, but slightly less so. Swapped out the very broken for the less broken and all is well, except for slightly corrupted graphics and I'm having trouble getting the proprietary driver installed. I'll have to see if the Nvidia is still under warranty.

SlimPickins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum